I’ve made these brownies for several friends and family members, and it’s always surpises people that they’re grain free. While this isn’t a diet food, it is a more gentle form of a familiar treat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Yields: 12-16 brownies
1 1/2 cups carob semisweet chips
2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2/3 cup agave nectar or 1 1/4 cup date sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a small bowl melt carob chips in microwave for 2 minutes. Or place carob chips in a heat resistant bowl on top of a boiling pot of water until melted.
- In blender or food processor, combine beans and eggs.
- Add sweetener, baking powder, and chips. Process until smooth.
- Pour batter into a 9 inch non-stick pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool, cut and serve.
Variations: try these with semisweet chocolate chips instead of carob or substitute adzuki beans for garbanzo beans. Adzukis are the little red beans used in Asian sweets. You can usually find them in health food stores.